Here are the steps to properly update the Music Maker theme to the latest version. You will get an error if you just try to upload the theme again.
Site Issue After Updating? If you have an error with your site after you update your website it may be a plugin, cache plugin, or code you added. You can see on the demo site, the theme works. Please check out how to troubleshoot issues.
The file you will be uploading is the MusicMaker.zip file.
Step by Step Instructions
1. In WordPress click Add New under Plugins on the sidebar.
2. In the search box search for Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades. Click enter or return on your keyboard to search.
3. Once you find the plugin, click the Install Now button, and then click the Activate button.
4. Under Appearance on the sidebar click Themes.
5. Click the Add New button at the top of the page.
6. On the Install Themes page click the Upload Theme link.
7. Click the Browse button and search for the MusicMaker.zip file on your computer. Now click the Install Now button.
- Missing Style.css Error
If you get this message it is because you are uploading the wrong zip file. You need to upload the MusicMaker.zip file.
If you do not see the MusicMaker.zip file, unzip the initial zip file you downloaded and look for the correct zip file.
- Location Already Exist Error
There are 3 possible causes for this issue.
1. Missing Update Plugin – You will get this issue if you did not install the Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin. Please follow the steps above and install the plugin.
2. Older Version of WordPress – If you did install the plugin, old versions of WordPress below 4.6 will require you to select a box on the upload page. Select Yes next to Upgrading existing theme.
3. Server Permission Issues – If you did select yes and continue to have a issue, you may be having server permission issues. You will need to go to the themes page in WordPress, activate another WordPress theme, and delete the Music Maker theme. Then install the Music Maker theme again.
8. Next click the Activate link to make the updated theme live.
9. Next update your WordPress permalinks. Under Settings on the sidebar click Permalinks. On the Permalinks Settings page click the Save Changes button.
The theme is now updated!
11. You no longer need the Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin, so go to Installed Plugins under Plugins on the sidebar in WordPress. Find the Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin and click Deactivate. Once it is deactivated, you can click Delete to remove plugin, or just keep it for future updates.
Note about custom code changes: You will lose custom code changes that you have made to any of the PHP and CSS files in the MusicMaker theme folder. But the Custom CSS input in the options panel will be saved and continue to work properly.
By default your theme back up is saved to the WordPress Media Library. But you can click the “here” link to save your old theme to your computer.